Wednesday, October 7

I can't figure it out....

You know what I can't figure out....why Rease has suddenly become super grumpy. It started on our trip to St. Louis (that stunk so much we decided to pack up at 6 am and come home a day early, I'll save the details for another post). Ever since last Saturday she doesn't want to eat and is super grouchy come bed time. Whenever it is time to eat she acts hungry and then she gets close to me and arches her back and become stiff as a board and just screams. Ugh...I have about come to the end of my rope. 5 days of that is about enough to drive any one insane. If she does decide to nurse she gets in about 3 minutes (5 if I am lucky) and then repeats the stiff as a board tactic. I thought she was being stubborn about nursing because we were having to give her some milk in a bottle with her medicine (for the ear infection she had a couple weeks ago). But the medicine has come and gone and her mood hasn't. :(

Bed time is pretty much the same thing. She is so tired and falls asleep about the minute I pick her up. She used to be a great baby to put to sleep. Feed her, read to her, sing a couple songs lay her down and she would fall asleep in about 3 minutes. Now I lay her down and she stays asleep for about 3 seconds (won't fall asleep on her own) and then decides she has to roll over to her belly and the crying begins. Monday and last night the screaming went on for about 30-40 minutes. Last night she also woke up twice and she usually only wakes up once. Oh wait, she had been sleeping through the night until that darn trip to St. Louis.... So last night she woke up and stayed awake doing the crying when I lay her down routine for about an hour.

I love Rease to death, but right now she is about all I can handle. And yes, I am pretty sure I am just as grumpy. Any advice on what to do to help her break these habits? I don't think it is her teeth bothering her because both of her bottom ones have been in for over a week. Any advice is welcome because I am about to pull my hair out!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Amelia went through this same thing just last week or so. She would fall asleep in my arms when I'd rock her, then the minute I'd put her down, she'd wake up and start screaming for 2 hours. She wasn't hungry, wet, tired, no fever or swollen gums.... so needless to say, I was at my wits end too! She's the same as Rease, she'd fall asleep so easily, so I was pretty grumpy myself. I took the afternoon after clinical last week, and Mia and I snuggled together and spent a lot of time together, as I had been gone alot the previous days. Now she's back to her normal routine. It came as quickly as it went.I think Mia had just missed her Mommy, maybe Rease is missing her Mommy too!

Cindy said...

Well, did ya ask your mother? Kidding? Maybe her ears are still the problem and swallowing causes them to hurt. Do you have an ear thing that you can look? Or maybe she is just being a baby and figuring out what she is supposed to do keep you busy on your down week. Hopefully you will have a sweet Rease again.

- B said...

Poor Rease...and poor Chelsea! I'm sorry, I don't have any super words of advice to make her act like her old sweet self (Although, I think your mom might be on to something when she suggests her ears...)I'm sure it's a phase and she will soon stop torturing you. Until then, you'll be in my prayers! Breathe deep, try to relax when you can and remember - this too shall pass!!

Kyle and Karie Wong said...

Hi Chelsea...You may not remember me from high school...Karie (Marchese)...anyway I found your blog a while ago and have been reading it! Rease is adorable...is she about 6 months old?? Lilly (my 1 year old) did the exact same thing at around 6 months. I was super concerned and did some research and it turns out a lot of babies have a 6 month fussiness problem...i forget why...but it will pass soon, just as every little stage does! Good luck!

Mandy & Jeremy Hall said...

I agree with Karie! Babies follow the 3,6,3,6 growth spurt stages--which equal total fussiness!!!
3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months!!! I remember Mia SCREAMING forever one night when she was 3 weeks--she slept in her swing that night :)

Hope you get your sweet Rease back soon!!!