Tuesday, July 21

A Chocolate Lover's Dream....

I am really not a huge fan of chocolate, unless it comes in the form of Sycamore ice cream or brownies. Some friends of ours have been watching Rease on Monday nights, while we go to our Total Money Makeover small group at church, so I decided to treat them to dinner this week (Since they won't accept any payment...). I made stuffed shells with spinach and broccoli (spinach was a nice addition to the filling), beef house rolls and some super wonderful brownies. Here is the recipe in case you are craving some chocolate too.

The Best Fudge Brownies Ever **
1 C. butter
2 1/4 C. sugar
1 1/4 C. Dutch process cocoa
1/2 tsp salt (up to 1tsp if you use unsalted butter)
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp vanilla
4 large eggs
1 1/2 C unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 C. chocolate chips

-Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9x13 pan
-In a saucepan, melt the butter and then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return mixture to the heat briefly, just till it's hot, but not bubbling; it will become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating the butter and sugar a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on the brownies. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
-Stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, and vanilla. Add the eggs, beating until smooth. Then, add the flour and chips, beating until well combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
-Bake brownies for 28-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (might have a few crumbs, but i am sure you all know how to tell when brownies are done...)
-Cool completely before cutting (I have it on good authority you don't want to cut them when they are still warm...they just ooze everywhere, unless of course you are adding it to ice cream or something that just goes great with a warm, gooey brownie!).

**I didn't name them "The Best Fudge Brownies Ever", King Arthur Flour did; but, I would definitely agree they are worthy of the title.

Enjoy!!!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I will make the brownies as I love chocolate in any form but could we have a picture? How about throwing in one of Rease too. Maybe holding a brownie. You're killing me here. Love you, Mimi

Abrah said...

Yum! I agree, there should be pictures. :)

Tom Paul said...

it sounds delicious.. but my wife rarely bakes.. i will have to make it myself, i guess. Ha ha..