Wednesday, May 20

Week 1...

Hello everyone!

I can't believe it has already been a week since we got to meet our wonderful daughter! It seems like it has been a short week and a long week all in one. I feel like we were in the hospital ages ago, but feel like time has gone so fast at the same time.

Here is some quick info about the birth just in case you are interested. If you aren't, I guess you should skip to the next paragraph! :) Sunday night I went to bed early with every hope of getting a really good nights sleep. Not sure why I thought that would actually happen, because it didn't! Chris and I both tossed and turned for a few hours just thinking about what Monday would bring, etc. I finally fell asleep and then about 1:30 I woke up with the worst cramps. If you don't know, which if you know me you should.........., I am paranoid. I laid in bed worrying about what was going on and praying that nothing was wrong with the baby. I finally realized that it was probably just the onset of some early, early contractions. I hadn't had any contractions to that point, so I really didn't know what to expect. I finally fell asleep a little while later, in time to get about an hour or so of sleep before I had to get up and get ready for the hospital. We got to the hospital about 7 and were started on the petocin by about 8. I was expecting it to get uncomfortable really quickly, but it didn't. I pretty much just slept and hung out in the labor/delivery room until about 4pm. So yes, all that time and I was still just barely 1cm and not making much progress. The doctor on call came in and broke my water about 4:30 or so and after that things started to move along. My doctor came in to check on us about 8:00 and I was a little over 3cm. Still a long way to go!!!! At that point we felt like we were going to be in labor forever! I really didn't want any pain meds, but decided to at least talk to the my nurse about the options I had (when it was too late to get an epidural, narcotics, etc.) just in case things got worse than I was anticipating. Thankfully I did that and Chris and I got time to talk about it because about 20 minutes after my doctor told us that we had probably about 6 hours of labor to go before we could start pushing, things got really, really painful. It was like someone just turned on a switch and I was in terrible pain and the contractions were one on top of the other. I asked for the narcotic just so that I could relax between the contractions. That worked for maybe one or two contractions. By then it was about 9 and I was miserable. I thought "There is no way I can handle this for another 5-6 hours". So I told the nurse I wanted the epidural. I really wanted to wait as long as I could and was hoping to make it to about 7cm before I got it. I got checked before the anesthesiologist put in the epidural and I was about 5 1/2 cm. So we were at least making some progress so I didn't feel like I was wimping out so much. Lol. A wonderful guy named John came in to do the epidural and I was feeling quite a bit better by about 10:00 or so. I got checked again and was 9.5 cm!!!! What in the heck. I laid in the bed all day making no progress and then in a matter of a couple of hours I was almost all the way ready!! I couldn't believe it, but was understanding why those contractions were so bad!! The baby still hadn't really dropped a whole lot and I wasn't quite ready to push, but we were getting there. About 11:15 or so we started pushing. And pushing, and pushing, and pushing. Lol. At about 1:30 am Rease's heartbeat was dropping quite a bit and taking longer and longer to recover with each contractions. They also told me that her head was pretty much stuck in my pelvis and I wasn't having much luck getting her any farther down the birth canal. Urg....I was so frustrated and worried. They really should find another way to monitor your baby's heartbeat besides you having to hear it too. That is a sure fire way to make someone stressed during labor. They called in my doctor and she was there about 2 am or so (all times are approximate, as I can't really remember them exactly). She came in and said we could try to push a little more before she would opt for a cesarean. I was happy about this because the nurses and on call doctors made it seem like we were destined for a cesarean. I don't know if it was the time I got to rest between the nurses calling a time out for a while and the doctor arriving or what, but at 2:47 am we got to meet Rease. I was so exhausted I don't even remember them holding her up for us. I think I heard the words "Dad, cut here" that I put my head back and just closed my eyes (I think umbilical cords are disgusting....) but I don't remember seeing her until she was in the little warmer thing where they cleaned her all up. She didn't cry well at first, so I didn't get to hold her (I would have remembered that..lol). I just remember telling Chris to get over there and get to taking pictures, I would be fine. Lol. She also had a temperature when she was born, so she got whisked off to the nursery after Chris sat and rocked her for a few minutes while they got everything with Rease taken care of. They did bring her back to the labor and delivery room for a couple minutes before I got moved to the recovery room. It was so great to finally get to meet her! She was perfect. Even with the largest cone head I had ever seen!!

We have tons of pictures, but I will leave that for Chris to do. Right now I need to change a diaper and feed Rease. She is wonderful, making us paranoid - as I am sure every first baby does to new parents. We love her and she is wonderful! I will try to do a better job of posting, but I make no promises. I am still feeling pretty spent most of the time.

6 comments:

Micah said...

Great story :)
Only 6 more days of school then I'm scheduling a visit!

Abrah said...

I miss her...and you :)

- B said...

Congratulations! You survived the hardest and most wonderful time of your life. All I remember about my first is the exhaustion! It's so worth it. Can't wait to see pictures!

Elizabeth said...

omg, our labor was very similar. I didn't want to do an epidural either, but I was exhausted and wasn't progressing at all!! I'm so glad your little family is doing well!!! She's so precious, I love her name!! and yes... as a new parent, I am very paranoid!!!

Jenny said...

I loved the story. Isn't it funny how you think "If she would just get here I wouldn't have to worry so much, b/c then I fix any problems, ect" but the worrying just gets worse.

Tom Paul said...

Thanks for sharing. We can't wait to see her and you guys! Love ya!